Thursday, May 5, 2016

5/5/16 Update


 
Up at 6:15 today to check vitals and record them.  Weight, blood pressure, temperature, heart rate, glucose level.  Eat a light breakfast by 7am because there is a biopsy scheduled for 2pm.  No more food or liquid until after the biopsy.  There was 11:15 am appointment with the Physician's Assistant, Heidi.  This will be a long day.  We will have biopsies weekly for a bit and then every other week.  Then monthly for a few months and finally, yearly.  That is contingent on there being no signs of rejection.  So far there haven't been any.  We will get a report tomorrow on the results of today's biopsy and post a blog update.  After the biopsy next week, the fourth biopsy, two things happen.  The biopsies start to happen every two weeks, not weekly.  And, the prednisone dose will be lowered.  Less crankiness for John.  Less huge appetite.  Both of these are contingent on the biopsy results being within range.

Our visit with the Physician's Assistant, Heidi, gave us some good news.  I don't need to ride in the back seat.  That restriction was only for the LVAD.  Nice, it so difficult to carry on a conversation from front seat to back seat.  Also, regarding gardening, I am not allowed to move dirt, as there can be spores, etc. that might infect me while I am heavily immune-suppressed.  That restriction might be loosened or lifted after some time.  Maybe.  But, and this made me very happy, I can deadhead flowers, do a little pruning and pull the odd weed.  I will need to wear a mask and gloves to do these chores, but who cares?  Not I.  She also reinforced the theme of hand washing often, wearing gloves and even washing hands when gloves come off.  Also wearing of masks often as needed.  Don't be offended by any of these sanitary measures that I might take.  They are life saving.

Then the blog might be in sleep mode.  We will post after every procedure or event and a weekly update, at least for a while.  Things will calm down and there will be no need for posts.  (I hope!)

Check out the photo.  That is one month's worth of medications.  Only one month's worth, 30 days.  My life is going to be ruled by the clock and the calendar.  Do this at this time, and do that at another time. It took Co at least two hours to organize our supply of prescriptions, and to make sure we have backups.  Then there were the supplies to do the wound healing on the VAD driveline sight.  It needs to be cleaned and packed daily, so out with the VAD supplies and in with the driveline wound dressing.  Since the drain came out yesterday, no shower for 24 hours, and the biopsy today, no shower for24 hours, we are back on the bathing wipes till noonish tomorrow.  Then another shower and shampoo, first since Monday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home