8/6/2016 update
8/6/2016
The ninth biopsy was last Wednesday, August 3rd, and the
result was 1A, the second best possible.
We are assured that this is fine.
Zero (No significant rejection) is best, followed by 1A (mild
rejection), and 2A (mild to moderate rejection). There are four other categories that require
intervention, hospitalization. The only
change for this was an increase in Mycophenolate, an anti rejection drug that
had been stopped due to the white blood cell count being low. It had been restarted two weeks ago at a
small dose. The white blood count was still in range so the Mycophenolate dose
was doubled. It is still a lower dose
that the staff would like. The low
Mycophenolate dose could have contributed to the biopsy result.
Since the last update there have been several other medicine changes. A medication given for a specific virus (CMV)
that affects the white blood count was stopped, but due to time. It is usually given for three months and they
kept me on it for 100 days. These extra
days were precautionary as my donor had antibodies for CMV, a common disease,
and I did not have antibodies. Meaning
that he had the virus and I didn't so I am susceptible to catching it. We are told that most get the disease and
many do not know it, but being immune
suppressed, it would be serious for me.
Prednisone was lowered again. The dose now is only 5mgs daily. The Lisinopril, blood pressure med, has been
raised twice and is now 10mgs daily. It
will likely be raised again as the blood pressure remains borderline. The anti-thrush medication, Clotrimazole, has
been stopped.
A nice thing: Pills
are now taken at breakfast, dinner and bedtime.
The lunch and dinner pills were combined and now are taken at
dinnertime.
This heart works well!!
I haven't had this much energy in years, maybe decades. I had no idea I could do so much without
tiring. I did the 5k race on the 75th
day post-op. Next will be the American
Heart Association fund raiser on October 15th, another 5K race. But the biggie is the Seattle Marathon. The UW Medical Center has what they call
"Team Transplant" that works together to train transplant patients to
finish a half marathon. They have been
doing it for a number of years and have a weekly schedule to build up endurance
without injury. I start Monday by
walking 4 miles. Tuesday is a cross
training day and then another 4 mile walk on Wednesday. Thursday is an off day, followed by 4 miles Friday. These are all on my own. The team meets on Saturday for a 6 mile walk
twice around Green Lake. Each following week is a bit more demanding.
The next biopsy is on September 15th. We will post another blog entry then.
John

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home