Tuesday Afternoon
John had a decent breakfast this morning. Then PT came by and we walked, one short loop
and one long one. Then it was time for a
sponge bath. As of last week baths are
not in his future. The site where the
drive line comes out of his abdomen cannot get wet. When he gets out of Intensive Care, we will
be taught how to shower without getting the drive line wet. Once he gets his transplant and it heals,
that will no longer be an issue.
For lunch he had a real nice vegetable soup and a piece of
hamburger patty.
Jen and Mick came for training again today. We three are all certified now to care for
the LVAD. After the training, Jen put
John on battery power so we could walk.
After two long loops, he went back to bed and Mick took him off battery
power and put him on wall power. All
time from now until transplant, he either needs to be plugged into the wall,
like when he is in bed. When he is up
and about, he will be on battery power.
He needs to be plugged into two batteries, in case one should fail. The batteries last about 14-17 hours each, so
should last most of his awake hours in the day.
When he is on batteries, he must carry two more charged batteries and a back
up pump controller in case they need to be changed. He is working with Occupational Therapy now,
doing some strengthening exercises.
He is doing so well that I am thinking about leaving early
today. We know the nurse that will care
for him tonight, the same as the last two nights, so feel comfortable about
that. He needs a new electric shaver, so
I'll go get one of those. The lawn
didn't get mowed last weekend, like it should have been, so I think I'll mow
it. I need to do some laundry, so this
might be a good day to get all this stuff done.
I usually wait till the night nurse is here and John is pretty well settled, around 8-9 before leaving. This will get me home at a decent hour.
Unless I have more information later today, I'll pass it
on. Otherwise I'll post tomorrow.
Colleen

2 Comments:
Glad to see things are going better!
So happy to hear things appear to be on the upward swing. Hope it continues. Prayers are sent continually and there is a candle lit in John's name at St. James' Cathedral in Seattle. I didn't light it at any ol' church, I went to the cathedral! Nothing but the best for John! :-D Please tell him hi from me.
I hope you're doing well too, Colleen and to say we miss you both at Children's is an understatement.
May God bless you both!
Much love,
John
P.S. THANK YOU for all of your postings. They are much appreciated and read often.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home