Sunday, December 17, 2006

Sunday Update

John had a pretty good day, it would have been better if he had been able to nap more than 5 minutes at a time. He'll sleep well tonight.

Two doctors were in to see him today, both during the only two hours I was away. The orthopedic doctor was there to try to determine if it is only joint inflammation, it sounds like he also thinks it is probably a staph infection, so they continue to treat it with IV drips every 12 hours. He is having his evening one now. John and I both think his arm is redder than it was this morning, but the nurse thinks that is because he was getting closer to the time he needed the IV again. He finally has a dimple on his elbow, so the swelling has gone down a bit.

He had an echocardiogram this afternoon, and of course the technician "can't tell us any of the results, the doctor needs to do that" , but she gave hints like 'well defined lines' and 'nice', so we feel positive about the results. They were checking to make sure the infection hasn't spread to his heart, especially to the artificial mitral valve which seems to attract this kind of infection.

He had just one pain pill today, so the pain is very slight now. We went for a short walk around the floor and that felt good to have him up and walking.

I made a check off list for his meds and took that to the hospital, it seems to be working well and his nurses are all understanding our needs to make sure his other meds are not neglected.

John just called and a 'infection control' doctor just left his room. The labs came back from Friday and it is staph, but not the kind that is hardest to control. In order to get the antibiotic to the infected tissue, they need to get rid of all the fluid that is in his arm, so he lanced it, but he was not pleased with the amount of fluid that he could get out of Johns arm. So tomorrow morning a doctor will do an ultrasound with a needle to locate the pus pockets and get the fluid out. If that is not successful, he'll undergo a minor surgery to get it out.

That is what I know now, I'll update you more tomorrow. Please keep us in your prayers.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

Love you...

December 18, 2006 at 8:50 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Chris and I have you in our prayers John.

I'll bring you some sunshine up from California when I come too :)

December 18, 2006 at 10:59 AM  
Blogger Katherine said...

John, Tonight Nancy & I will light a candle and pray daily for your health. Colleen, rest and trust the doctors to do what they are trained to do, heal. We are looking forward for you two to celebrate Christmas together at home. We're here for you!

December 18, 2006 at 1:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home